Thursday, August 2, 2012

Digital Storytelling Reflection

The process for completing this Digital Storytelling Project was as follows. First, I studied meaningful digital storytelling, which provided a template for creating a story map for my story. Because my friend Dustin recommended that I do one on dimensional analysis. That recommendation helped me in getting started on this project. The first difficulty in a project like this is always figuring out what to do a project on, so that was very helpful. So, I personalized the story including an example I will really use for myself. This was all done in the initial stage of this project.

After the story map, I filled in the story map with details to make a script. The next step simply piggy-backed on the script writing: making a 2-column story map. In Column 1, I included the script, and in Column 2 I thought deeply about what media would correspond to the piece of script to illustrate each section in a movie.

This initial stage to me represents the planning/writing stage of the story. I enjoyed thinking about and writing what I would do my project on. Also, I think it was very helpful to make a story map, which helped me think about how I could write a cohesive, understandable piece. Also, it was very helpful in writing the script and eventually associating the script with media images and videos.

The second stage, the production stage, I found to be excruciatingly difficult and not much fun at all. I started by trying to use MovieMaker to create the story. This did not work very well. I tried to put some video pieces on it but it didn't work. First of all, our old computer just could not handle the huge video files. Also, the video files would not show up to be moved into the MovieMaker file. It appeared impossible and I became quite frustrated. So, I switched formats. My sister let me use her Mac and iMovie to complete the project. This program isn't as user friendly as MovieMaker, but was much nicer because I could import video into it. Finally after a grueling month, I had something created. And thankfully it's done. You can find the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JYB6UOzl2E&feature=plcp

I think the process will be very helpful for students. In particular, students often have difficulties with the planning process to tell compelling stories. I would emphasize or even totally focus on this planning stage. I don't feel really comfortable enough with the media and video programs to make that a requirement. I think I'd only integrate that stage into the process if the students wanted to do it. Otherwise, I may skip it. Plus there's always the difficulty of getting enough computers and such.

No comments: